While searching for the classic pastel de tres leches recipe I've found a lot of versions from bakeries, kitchen lovers, celebrity chefs work of art versions and of course versions from different countries. Indisputably, to consider authentic a recipe of a tres leches cake should be a cake soaked in the sweet milk mixture topped with whipped cream or meringue. You'll notice that the recipe does not require butter, I know I know NO ES FACIL! it isn't easy to bake without butter but let me tell you that without it your cake will be more sponge and will soak the liquid better. So with that been said let me share my version with you in which I added coffee because who doesn't love coffee? And because why not!?
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs , separated
1 cup sugar , divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole milk
12 oz can evaporated milk
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
*4 tablespoon espresso if desired
For the whipped topping:
1 pint Heavy Cream
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
cherries or fresh sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Separate the eggs whites and egg yolks into two separate bowls.
3. In your bowl with the egg yolks, add 3/4 cup of sugar and mix it on high speed. When egg yolks and sugar are well combined and with a pale yellow color, Add 1/3 cup of milk and vanilla and stir.
4. Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture, without overmixing stir to combine.
5. Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites on high speed. to make it super light and spongy. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar as you mix and continue beating until stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined to make it super lght and spongy
6. Pour batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely
7. Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk. Add espresso if desired
8. Once the cake has cooled use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
Slowly pour the three milk mixture over the the top of the cake ( add espresso if desired) , making sure to pour it all around so it covers all your cake. It should be very heavy in milk since we're trying to make this cake very soaked in liquid, very wet.
For your whipping topping: Whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks. Smooth over the top of the cake. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and serve with cherries or fresh sliced strawberries..
Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or overnight,
to allow it to soak up the milk.
Thank you for visiting! Happy Cooking